Monday, July 9, 2012

"My friends are here!"

I love my friends.
I love and appreciate my close friends.
You know the ones, the ones you can rely on no matter what.
The ones you can call if you need a favour, no questions asked.
The ones you can call any time and say, "I need you", and they'll be there.
As I get older, I appeciate my true friends so much more.
I cherish them.
I remember hearing when I was younger,  that you could count your true friends on one hand.
I had a lot of friends as a child, teen and young adult (didn't we all?).
Post 40, not only do I believe this is true, but also that my 3 besties, are the same ones from my childhood, and teen years.
My oldest best friend, JF, is my bestie from year 1. She still holds that special place in my heart, and is always there for me, as I am for her. We have been through all the highs and lows together.
I have re-connected with my other 2 BFF's, we met at 14 years old, in highschool.
They were my bridesmaids, and we too have seen the good and the bad times.
We have spent so much time together, and experienced so many milestones, that (as I said to NG recently),
"I have a lifetime of happy memories of you".
The "bad" times are in the background, the good times prevail.
I realise that no other friendship could endure this time, and the time we have spent apart in recent years,
 has not changed the love and respect I have for these 2 very special girlfriends.
I'll tell you a little story -
When I was a teen, I had a bit too much to drink (I'm not proud of this moment, but it's relevant to the story).
I had been put to bed to sleep it off, by our older more responsible friend, while my friends went on to the outing (the local roller skating rink we frequented on Saturday nights).
My friends arrived afterthe skating, to check on me.
I was wakened and went to the door, and in my delirium and post-drunken state, exclaimed,
"My friends are here!"
I never lived that down, as it was so funny to see my reaction to the girls (I was a very slight, sobering teen experimenting with alcohol).
I felt so happy to see them, and I still feel the same way now, 28 years later.
Since seeing the 2 girls, NG and JC, after a few years break (we were living in different cities, and I have since moved close to their location), I feel great comfort spending time with them.
I still feel as though I can tell them anything, they can trust me with their secrets, and I just love being around them.
In my recent "Feel Good Now" seminars, I talk about being around people who make you feel good.
I feel good around them.
I believe you will naturally "find" your true friends with age and wisdom, and those who are not will "fall away".
I am hosting a sleepover for my 2 BFF's tomorrow night, and excited about getting together for a long awaited catch up, (our gorgeous kids included and also very excited).
We love each other's kids too, I will always be there for them all.
We have so many jokes from our teen years, that we've passed on to our kids, they "get" our humour too.
To NG and JC, thank you for coming back into my life.
We share a special friendship.
Tomorrow night, expect a few of the old, "My friends are here."
Love you long time, Don xxx

4 comments:

  1. Awwh what a lovely post. So many memories, most of them in hysterical laughter. One of my favourites is being at the petrol station at around 17 & deciding anyone who did not just love us to bits was probably just jealous of us. Hilarious. And this is not cock(coke), this is lemonade. Funny. See ya tonight. Can't wait.
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many sayings, we have our own language, and we've passed it down to our boys. Recently told Jack the story about us working in the Coles deli, too much! "There's no meat on these birds!" remains one of the faves. x

      Delete
  2. Love it. Have only just got around to reading this. You guys are the best, thank you for all your love and support over the years. Love ya long time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love, thinking of you. Call or visit any time, Don xx

      Delete